Saturday, July 12, 2008

Nicknames....

OK, so my sister thought I should share why I sometimes sign my comments with JW instead of Jeanette. So here goes:

I'll start at the beginning. My parents named me Jeanette. It is a fine name, I don't hate it. But all my aunts and uncles always called me Jeanie. Again, a fine name and I did not hate it. I could not spell Jeanette when I started grade school anyway so I just went with Jeanie. When I hit junior high I started going with Jeanette. Upon hitting high school, my younger sister, Janeie, and I became the best of friends and spent most of our time with each other. She brought back the old name and added to it - Jeanie Weinie or weiner/JW for short. I was pretty much a chicken about most things. When we would babysit together, she would watch the horror shows on tv and I would change the channel. Raise your hand if you think that watching Nightmare on Elm Street while babysitting is ok? OK, the kids were already in bed and sleeping soundly but still....was I really a weinie??? I guess the answer must be yes because to this day I will get an email or a phone call from my sisters calling me and saying Hey Weiner whatyadoing? I don't mind the name anymore and sometimes use it in emails to my family. My neices will call me that too and it no longer boths me. So there it is.

How about you, do you have a nickname with a story behind it??

6 comments:

Meg said...

Nothing quite as interesting as that. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Thank you dear JEAN THE WEIN!

You make me laugh little sister!

Love YOU!

Julie

Elizabeth said...

LOL that's adorable!! My nickname from my parents has always been Lizard. Not because my name is Elizabeth... because they think I talk so fast my tongue flaps in and out like a lizard (that was dad's comment). Parents! BTW, I found you from your sister's site.

holli said...

Hey Weiner! :) That's all I know you by when I'm around Janeie. Glad I can keep up with you and Julie on your blogs. You can pretty much keep up on me through Megan's blog. :) She's a much better writer than I am. I didn't know you decorated cakes at Cold Stone. How fun!!

Meg said...

Nope... I didn't watch those three favorites tonight. :)

Simply Heart And Home said...

Gosh, I've been there with everyone calling you a different name. My "real" name is Georgina. Throughout elementary school especially, the teachers called me Georgia, Georgiana, Georgette, and on and on. Gina seemed easiest so that is what everyone pretty much calls me.