Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cheap DIY's

My day started very early.

Not by choice.

A storm blew through about 5am. I certainly think that was RUDE. Could it not wait about 3 hours when every one was up and out of bed?! The lightning was amazing - picture a strobe light.

After going back to bed for another few hours, I had to get the girls going for the day. They have kept me busy this week running them from place to place. After dropping them off, I headed back home to get started on my many projects for the day. I needed to get some things done before I headed into work.

First project, arrange greenery on top of the kitchen cabinets. I have been lazy getting the finishing touches in there and it really brought character to the room. One down :}

I picked up some AWESOME wall words at Hobby Lobby. I LOVE that store but it is dangerous for me :} I saw them there last week and thought I would think on it awhile before going ahead and getting them. I decided that the dining room and kitchen both need some wise words. I found some great ones on ebay that should be arriving next week. In the mean time....

Here is what Project #2 looks like.....

I love the way it came out!

My biggest project of the day was getting the exterior lighting painted. My first light to be done was pretty much my guinea pig light. If it looked terrible, no biggy, no one really notices it anyway :}

Here is what I have to work with...


Yes, I know, it looks like it is going to fall off the house. It has done that for years and I have just finally had it. Here is a closer view:

I must admit that I am embarrassed at out poorly it looks. Our home is 10 years old and this was a cheap fixture but I sure fixed it up. Take a look!


I looks like it was made that way! I love the way it turned out. AND I got it put back up tonight. See...


I even fixed it so it won't look like it is going to fall off the house :}

I know you are dying for one more look...


It does work and I have proof in picture form. If you would like it, let me know :}

I now have three more fixtures in the garage drying as I write. I'll install them tomorrow and take down the two big ones to be done on Saturday. I saved at least $300 in fixtures. Total cost of two cans of spray paint = about $12. I have been looking for over two years and just could not find anything that I liked. I still love the fixtures I picked 10 years ago! I'm so glad I was able to just repaint them and call it a day, or two or three.

We had a tree replaced on Saturday. Our beautiful crab tree in the front yard died after something crazy happened to the root system. We had been babying it for over a year hoping to get "just one more year" out of it. Well, this year it just wasn't happening so we finally caved and got a new one. It looks so much like our old one! I love it :}

I'll post pictures when all the lighting is reinstalled. I'm so happy that our house won't be looking so run-down anymore! Ok, I was probably the only one that noticed the lighting, as I am my biggest critic :}

Hugs all!

4 comments:

ADMIN said...

The light fixtures turned out great! I love the words you chose, what a beautiful display!

Anonymous said...

Love your little saying - looks awesome! Lighting too! You Rock Girl!

Love ya sis!

j said...

You need your own Mrs. Fix-it show. I don't think there is anything that you can't do.

The light looked awesome and the wall words were cool! I've seen them at Hobby Lobby but wasn't sure how it would look in our home. I'll have to look again.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Great job! I love the saying!