Saturday, January 23, 2010

It has happened.....

It has happened.
I was hoping that I could get by a little while longer.

Alas, it is not to be.

Gabby.
has.
a.
boyfriend.

gulp....

I said it.

A young man from church has decided that he would like to "date" her.
And while flattered (and proud of his choice)
it terrifies me that she is "dating".

Now, let's be clear.
Our "dating"
and regular "dating"
are two VERY different things!

Regular dating is when a boy picks up the girl and they go out....alone.

Our dating is....

First, the boy must talk with daddy
to get the ok to take daddy's daughter out.
Second, daddy lays down the law as to what we believe is good behavior.
They are NEVER in a car alone.
They are NEVER in a house alone.
He is NOT to touch daughter anywhere except the back (from shoulder to waist)
at ANY time.
There is NEVER any kissing, hugging, etc.
Any dating that is being done will be done with at least one other couple to accompany them. If they don't have another couple, mom and dad will be happy to join them :}
He spoke with Bill today to ask his permission.
Poor kids was terrified!
But I must applaud him.
He gave all the right answers :}
He is a good kid.

Oh, to turn the clock back 15 years!

ps - dating guidelines from the book "Interviewing yours daughter's date" by Dennis Rainey. It is excellent and has been a great source for us! It is short but sweet :}

6 comments:

ADMIN said...

Yikes! I am so dreading the dating years.
But~
Congrats to Gabby, he sounds like a very nice young man!

tonya said...

What an awesome, awesome mom!!!

Anonymous said...

better you than me!

R said...

Well, these things come but we never expect them.
Our children grow but they're still our little children! Or maybe we see them as our little children forever.
Lots of love from Madrid

KevinG said...

Now that you're back at BBC, I'll be happy to stalk them for you. Love the dating guidelines. Doesn't this void one of Bill's contracts with the kids?

j said...

I think I am going to have to buy that book. The dating years LOOM and I dread them. I really like the way you all handled this.