OK my girlfriend bloggy buddies, I am going out on a limb here.
I am believing that you won't think badly of me or my family.
We found something at my house yesterday that simply mortified me!
LICE!
I KNOW, EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW GROOOOSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I will tell the story but if you are as grossed out by it, as I am, you may chose to not read on.
Gabby was complaining that her head itched. She has sensitive skin so I just thought she had not rinsed her hair good when she washed her hair. I told her to come into my bathroom and I would wash her hair with my shampoo to see if that helped. After washing, she came back into my bathroom and said.....
Mom, this just fell out of my hair.
I looked at it and thought.....surely this isn't lice. But never having had it before, I had to look it up on the net. Sure enough she had adult lice in her hair. I quick called the school to report what she had and the nurse called me back. Bless the district nurse!!! She is a mom to one of Gab's friends so we know each other personally. She told me exactly what to do and where to start. She said she would check Abby around lunch time to she if she had them too.
I quick hit CVS to pick up my truckload of supplies and headed home to get started. I shampooed and started going through her hair in teeny tiny sections getting all the nits out. Through all this we watched Nim's Island (good movie by the way) Gabby was actually enjoying this and said it felt good. About 2 hours into Gabby's hair, I got a call from the school nurse and sure enough Abby had them too. Now, Abby's softball team was to play their last game of the season last night. She was not able to play.
After getting Abby from school, I was in tears.
HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO US?
WE ARE CLEAN PEOPLE!
I AM CRAZY ABOUT MY HOUSE BEING CLEAN!!!
Can I say it again?
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!
I called my hubs and work and he was not real happy. He told me to call someone to come and help. My reply.....I did, I called you! He did not come home but called later to make sure I was doing ok.
Another two hours later, Gabby's hair had been gone through once and I sent her up to get a shower. I started picking through Abby's hair. Another 4 hours later......
Back to Gabby's hair again......Abby's hair now........Gabby's hair........Abby's hair.........
Around 7pm last night our dear pediatrician that leaves just 3 doors down (I am sure he is gonna move away because of me) came down to check them out. I wasn't going to bed last night without someone checking to make sure I had gotten everything. He said they looked really good and if he kids ever get it he is going to send them to me.
AH, THANKS BUT.....NO THANKS!!
Anyway, after washing all the bedding (in hot hot water and drying on high heat) and spraying down mattresses, buying new pillows and throwing all the old ones away, buying all new brushes and hair thingys. I was exhausted. I had to remake all the beds and run the vacuum through each room. I am still doing laundry today and am running everything I can through hot water and putting everything in the dryer.
The school nurse deemed both girls nit free this morning and gave me some more tips on keeping them that way.
From now on, every time they come home from a sleepover, I will pour olive oil into their hair. This is a sure fire way to keep all nits from sticking. All pillows will be put into the dryer for at least an hour on high heat to kill anything that might be in them. All blankets will be washed and all clothes right into the washer as well.
We have no idea where the critters where picked up from. We highly suspect softball and no one report it to the school. We know we did the right thing in reporting it and getting them cleared to get back in.
I have to say that even this morning I was still itching and am not sure I will stop until all the laundry is done and I know the house is clean.
So, for today, enjoy if you can and go take another shower if you feel you need one :}
I am waiting for the Maytag man to come and fix my oven (yeah, that guy on those commercials would be kept VERY busy at my house with my Maytags). That is for another post.
What can I say....When it rains it pours!!!
Hugs!
Jeanette
I am believing that you won't think badly of me or my family.
We found something at my house yesterday that simply mortified me!
LICE!
I KNOW, EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW GROOOOSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I will tell the story but if you are as grossed out by it, as I am, you may chose to not read on.
Gabby was complaining that her head itched. She has sensitive skin so I just thought she had not rinsed her hair good when she washed her hair. I told her to come into my bathroom and I would wash her hair with my shampoo to see if that helped. After washing, she came back into my bathroom and said.....
Mom, this just fell out of my hair.
I looked at it and thought.....surely this isn't lice. But never having had it before, I had to look it up on the net. Sure enough she had adult lice in her hair. I quick called the school to report what she had and the nurse called me back. Bless the district nurse!!! She is a mom to one of Gab's friends so we know each other personally. She told me exactly what to do and where to start. She said she would check Abby around lunch time to she if she had them too.
I quick hit CVS to pick up my truckload of supplies and headed home to get started. I shampooed and started going through her hair in teeny tiny sections getting all the nits out. Through all this we watched Nim's Island (good movie by the way) Gabby was actually enjoying this and said it felt good. About 2 hours into Gabby's hair, I got a call from the school nurse and sure enough Abby had them too. Now, Abby's softball team was to play their last game of the season last night. She was not able to play.
After getting Abby from school, I was in tears.
HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO US?
WE ARE CLEAN PEOPLE!
I AM CRAZY ABOUT MY HOUSE BEING CLEAN!!!
Can I say it again?
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!
I called my hubs and work and he was not real happy. He told me to call someone to come and help. My reply.....I did, I called you! He did not come home but called later to make sure I was doing ok.
Another two hours later, Gabby's hair had been gone through once and I sent her up to get a shower. I started picking through Abby's hair. Another 4 hours later......
Back to Gabby's hair again......Abby's hair now........Gabby's hair........Abby's hair.........
Around 7pm last night our dear pediatrician that leaves just 3 doors down (I am sure he is gonna move away because of me) came down to check them out. I wasn't going to bed last night without someone checking to make sure I had gotten everything. He said they looked really good and if he kids ever get it he is going to send them to me.
AH, THANKS BUT.....NO THANKS!!
Anyway, after washing all the bedding (in hot hot water and drying on high heat) and spraying down mattresses, buying new pillows and throwing all the old ones away, buying all new brushes and hair thingys. I was exhausted. I had to remake all the beds and run the vacuum through each room. I am still doing laundry today and am running everything I can through hot water and putting everything in the dryer.
The school nurse deemed both girls nit free this morning and gave me some more tips on keeping them that way.
From now on, every time they come home from a sleepover, I will pour olive oil into their hair. This is a sure fire way to keep all nits from sticking. All pillows will be put into the dryer for at least an hour on high heat to kill anything that might be in them. All blankets will be washed and all clothes right into the washer as well.
We have no idea where the critters where picked up from. We highly suspect softball and no one report it to the school. We know we did the right thing in reporting it and getting them cleared to get back in.
I have to say that even this morning I was still itching and am not sure I will stop until all the laundry is done and I know the house is clean.
So, for today, enjoy if you can and go take another shower if you feel you need one :}
I am waiting for the Maytag man to come and fix my oven (yeah, that guy on those commercials would be kept VERY busy at my house with my Maytags). That is for another post.
What can I say....When it rains it pours!!!
Hugs!
Jeanette

5 comments:
I still can't believe it! Oh My Goodness!!! Thanks for sharing your story . . . I feel your pain!
If my appliances were running at full capacity I would help you out!
Don't feel bad, they could have picked them up at softball, on the bus, at school, just about anywhwere. Wow, it sounds like an awful lot of work, and I'm sorry you had to suffer through it.
Hugs,
Mimi
ACK my head itches now :)
Trader Joes has a tea tree oil shampoo that is wonderful for prevention! I've studied natural products and there was a study that said children that washed their hair with tea tree oil shampoo once a week didn't catch lice during school outbreaks. It's worth a try :)
Wow, my head just started to get itchy!! LOL!
If it helps any, since you are such a clean freak, lice only like clean hair!!
Poor thing, I totally feel your pain, after all your hard work and everything is clean..you will sleep like a rock!!
Post a Comment