Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dear John letter

Dear young man that invited my daughter to your party,

Please don't think that we don't like you,
we have not met you
so we don't know if we like you or not.

That is not the point.

You see our rule is NO BOY PARTIES.

Yes, we realize that our daughter is lots of fun to have at a party.
Where do you think she got her great whit?

That's right, dude,
her mom is a true party animal
(as long as the party is over by 9pm).

Our daughter is very unhappy about this issue.
But she does not always have good insight into these types of things.

In fact, she rarely sees our viewpoint.
But, she does know the rule that has been in place for at least a decade.

We have tried to instill the difference between girls and guys - most of all the fact that boys do indeed have cooties and that, yes, they usually smell bad at some point during any given day.

So, please accept our decision to not allow our daughter to attend your party.

You may be a very nice boy, but we don't know that and must do everything in our power to protect what is left of our daughter's innocence.

You see, we only get one chance at this parenting thing and we are doing the best we can with what we have to work with.

Sincerely,
The parents of the girl who is NOT coming to your party

Moms with boys - do you allow your sons to invite girls over for a party? Are we completely off base on this issue? Not that we will change our rule but really, what do you do when it comes to this issue?

Let me know what ya know cause I wanna know, you know :}

Hugs to all!

Jeanette

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long did it take you to write this? You did an incredible job!!! Kuddos to you Dear Sis!

and yes, BOYS DO HAVE COOTIES AND SMELL BAD AT LEAST ONE TIME A DAY!!! I know first hand - remember I have FOUR of those cootie laden stinky boys - and I love every ounce of them!

Good for you - STAND STRONG!

ADMIN said...

I am not looking forward to the teen years!

Patrice and Higgins said...

As a mom of three boys and two of them being teenagers...I would not let them invite a girl to a party, or for that matter let them have that type of party!! Too many things could happen and I WILL not be part of that!

There are only a handful of parents out there now that will take a stand and actually be parents, not best friends to our teenagers, not always a popular choice around our household.

Right now being parents is what God made us first and foremost! I will be a best friend one day when they have teenagers of their own that are driving them nuts!! :)

tonya said...

I respect you more & more every time I visit. What a good mama! Your girls are so blessed to have you!

Tassi said...

Great post!

Thanks for commenting on my guest post at Jo-Lynne's Musings of a Housewife. Comments are so nice.

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

AMEN SISTER! Mother of a 15 year old (almost 16) that thinks Im too strict...