Friday, January 9, 2009

4 Hours.....Really?!

It has been a very busy and bustling week!

The cake display at work is mostly full again. I asked that a few more cakes be made last night. We will see if that actually happened. One of the day gals worked for me today. The assistant manager rearranged her schedule and she needed the hours so I told her she could come in and do the cakes for me. I don't need the money as badly as she does. Not to say we couldn't use the money but we aren't living off my paycheck (thankfully!).

I was just wrapping up my work day last night when I got a call from Gabby's softball coach at school. She wanted me to know that Gabby had been hurt during conditioning (the school offers weightlifting and conditioning after school for athletes in between their sport season). Apparently Gabby had been running when she felt a horrible pain in her lower back. She dropped to the floor and couldn't walk. Of course, this freaked out the two coaches that were overseeing the time. They finally got her up and going and got her back packed with ice before giving me a call.

I quickly got over to the school and got her out to the car. Of course, Abby was to have Freshman orientation last night to get informed about classes and such for school next fall. I quick ran into the middle school to tell her that Gabby was hurt and that we may need to take her to prompt care. A couple of her friends said they could get her home if I was unable to make it to the orientation.

I finally got Gabby home and my DH checked her out. He did not feel that she needed to go to prompt care but we packed her back with ice again and got her some Aleve.

This morning I called the orthopaedic center up the road. They cater to the athletes at our high school by getting them in the same day they call. We also have one of the PT's at the high school a few times a week to help any of the kids with muscle issues they may be having.

They called me back within about 20 minutes and asked how quickly I could be there. 10 minutes! Perfect was their reply. We pulled in by 9:15am and got checked in. An hour later, we were still waiting. Gabby was starting to hurt from sitting so I tried to rub her down as best I could without her sprawling out on the floor. An hour and half ticks by. I call and cancel my hair appointment... Gabby asked if I was going to check to see what was going on. I told her they would be hearing from me if we are waiting 2 hours. One hour and 45 minutes when her name was called. I just about did a dance!

The doctor came in pretty quickly and diagnosed a SI injury. Long name short, she has a pain in her bum. No need to laugh! Although I did :} We went straight over to physical therapy and had a full work up. We finally left the doctors office at 1pm. When we were heading out I made the comment that the waiting room was empty. The lady said they were waiting for the next round to come through. I chucked (because I had somewhat of a sense of humor left) and said that is was time for lunch break. She said, no lunch is over. Well, for her maybe it was but we had yet to have lunch because WE HAD BEEN IN THE WAITING ROOM FOR 1 3/4 HOURS! I have to say I was a bit miffed that they asked us to run right over and when I looked at my paperwork it showed the appointment being for 10:15. WHAT?! A full hour AFTER we got there?! Why didn't they just tell me to come in at 10:15?! I'm tempted to send them a bill for my time wasted. I know I am not the only one that has this issue. People all over the waiting room were complaining of the same thing. Really? 4 hours in the doctors office?!

Gabby is feeling a tad bit better. She was given a belt to where to help stablize the area and she has some meds to help with the inflammation. She has gone to a play with her girlfriend under strict orders to take it easy and don't do anything stupid. She did say she was a little sore from all the poking and proding. She has the next three weeks off from all sports and PE activities.

So, that was my day. I'm sure yours was WAY better than mine.

Sorry, that I did not have one of them rockin' fun days like I had planned! Hair and then I was to go to my sister's house for some fun. Hoping for next week Julie!!!

Hugs to all!

Jeanette

4 comments:

ADMIN said...

I hope that Gabby will get better soon. Poor kid, I bet she's in a lot of pain.
I had a day of rushing and feeling that I couldn't finish anything. Oh well, there's tomorrow to catch up!
Take care and remember to have some chocolate with dinner every night.

Patrice and Higgins said...

Oh girl, I so feel your pain! The doc that did Bradley's shoulder surgery, well it was a two hour wait each time we went to see him. I finally wised up and on the last appointment I asked for the very first appointment of the day and only waited 15 minutes!

When we go back for the second surgery, I will only take the first appointment from here on out!

It is not right!

Anonymous said...

o.k. smarty smarty! I know you are aware of the year I was born!

How is Gabs?

mom23cutegirls said...

Hey there Wiener. I finally figured out this blog stuff. I of course will not be blogging, just commmenting.

Juju told me about Gabby hurting her back. I hope she is doing better. Lower back/butt pain really hurts like the dickens. Hope she is doing better!

Still have the girls Christmas stuff plus Gabby's birthday card/money. Let me know when you can get together.

Gotta go--Extreme Home Make Over is 13 minutes away!

Love you.
Jane